****en cours de traduction****
In the field of Education, we have volunteer opportunities in Western Australia at Shenton College or Paraburdoo Primary School. You will assist the teacher and students with French language and culture. Information on these exciting volunteer opportunities is below!
Arrival dates are set around the school terms. Minimum duration is 3 months.
- What’s the organisation? Shenton College is a Public Co-educational public school. First opened in 2001, we educate students ages 11-18 years old who live in the Western suburbs of Perth. We run specialist Gifted and Talented classes and ranked in the Top 10 schools in WA in 2016.
- What will the volunteer do? The volunteer will mainly be working in the Languages Department. This office has a number of international workers who can speak a number of different languages. We usually arrive at school from 8am and start work at 9am. We have a 15 minute break for recess each morning and then a 30 minute lunch. We finish teaching at 3pm and usually leave the office at 3:30-4pm. Every Wednesday we attend a meeting from 3-4pm. On Friday afternoons, staff have the option of attending the “social club” where teachers get together over a drink. The volunteer would be asked to engage in meaningful conversation practice with the French students. They will be asked to oversee small group work in French and check that students’ work is correct and intelligible. They will be asked to impart knowledge about their life in France and French culture. They will also be asked to help with regards to creating resources such as photocopying, typing documents, proof reading documents and giving advice about French culture.
- What are the requirements? Applicants must be native French speakers. Good English and communication skills are highly desirable. The volunteer needs to have good communication skills and good interpersonal skills. It is desirable for them to be able to impart any knowledge of cultural activities that they complete in France. Further eligibility requirements can be found under the ‘Requirements’ section below.
- Who will this suit? Someone who enjoys teaching kids and is passionate about their own culture. Kindness, patience and a willingness to help out are a must.
- Location? Perth, Western Australia
- Duration? Applicants can apply to volunteer for a year or semester with Shenton College
- More information: http://www.shenton.wa.edu.au/
Paraburdoo Primary School
- What’s the organisation? Paraburdoo Primary School is a school catering for Kindergarten to Year 6 students in the Ashburton Shire of the Pilbara. It is the education hub of the town with a fluctuating enrolment of between 240 – 260 dependent on the strength of the mining industry and particularly the fortunes of the major employer in town, Rio Tinto. Paraburdoo provides a learning environment where students are communicating, collaborating, creating and critically thinking. They also foster a model of distributive leaderships where staff are encouraged to have a go, take risks, try new ideas and lead different areas of expertise. Paraburdoo P.S. staff continue to commit to a vision of progressive, creative learning, where all students are nurtured and inspired to engineer tomorrow today. The school is 45 years old.
- What will the volunteer do? Paraburdoo offers a unique chance to learn about outback Australia whilst gaining satisfaction in helping students improve their French skills and development. Volunteers will be working with the students to improve oral language and written skills in French and English as well as designing and making resources for French and other curriculum areas.
- What are the requirements? For fluent French speakers only. Must have an ability to work well with children whilst showing patience, flexibility, creativity, teamwork, energy, and being a team player. Must have a basic understanding of how children develop and learn.
- Who will this suit? A French speaker who has an interest in child development and education. Someone who is flexible and keen to experience outback Australia. Must be open to new experiences and be prepared for very hot weather (38°C and hotter).
- Location? Paraburdoo, Western Australia
- Duration? Applicants can apply to volunteer for a semester with Paraburdoo
- More information: http://www.paraburdooprimaryschool.wa.edu.au/index.php